[Coco] lets play canyon climber from floppy disk ( 8 inch floppy disk)

Alex Evans varmfskii at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 11:43:06 EST 2019

8" drives aren't very different from 5.25" drives.  They have an
additional signal so that for drives that need it you can change the
signal strength depending on whether you are on the inside or outside
of the disk, they spin at 360 rpm (like 5.25" HD drives), they
generally have 77 tracks, and the data rate is doubled (so the SD (FM)
data rate is what you would expect on DD (MFM) on a 5.25" disk and the
DD (MFM) data rate is the same as the HD (still MFM) data rate for a
5.25" floppy). Basically a DSDD soft sector 8" floppy will look like a
DSHD 5.25" floppy with a few tracks missing.