[Coco] My first CoCo device (virtual)

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu May 30 01:16:56 EDT 2019

On Thursday 30 May 2019 12:55:01 am Stephen Fischer wrote:

> On 5/29/2019 9:42 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> I think the task at hand is to break up a "C" library, modify one
> >> (or more) routines and put the library back together.
> >>
> >> I remember that was different from breaking up a os9boot file, if
> >> not then EZGEN is a simpler route.
> >>
> >> I just checked my printed listings of my last OS-9 L-I and L-II
> >> disks and nothing in CMDS looked like the correct program.
> >>
> >> As it was a one time only use the library breakup program may not
> >> have made it to a boot able disk.
> >>
> >> I do not have printed listings of the disks containing DELPHI
> >> files, they were collected together for quicker searching and are
> >> now lost.
> >>
> >> If someone remembers the name of the "C" library breakup program
> >> the Delphi download disks can be searched.
> >>
> >> SHF
> >
> > I think I've seen it, even used it but the name escapes me too.
> >
> > Given the srcs for vfy, it would be dead simple to rename it, and
> > make it look not for the $87CD of an os9 file, but for a $62CD which
> > is the identifier of a C library module. Very trivial change. Maybe
> > even make it automatic by using a -cs to tell it to split a C
> > library?  And the srcs are on my web page or maybe even "out there".
>
> a file needs to be written with the names of the individual entries in
> the order found. "C" libraries must be in a specific order, re the
> order they are searched for needed routines will cause other parts of
> the library also to be loaded. It is a one pass operation.

Which means a practical library might have to contain 2 copys of a given
function if your code is not arranged in the same order as the library.
I believe the trig.l is an example of that out of order, so I think if
you look at it you'll find more than one copy of one or 2 modules in
that library.

> That's the file given to OS9GEN which puts the library  back together.
>
> SHF

os9gen doesn't work with c modules.

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett