[Coco] CoCo's TIMER and 60hz

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed May 29 15:02:45 EDT 2019

I'm guessing that he could tweak this to gain more accuracy. When
generating the VGA signal, time spent in horiz or vert blanking can be
changed ever so slightly to get it closer to where it's supposed to be.
I ran into this exact same problem with an FPGA project I was working on
with a VGA output. I used a 25 MHz dot clock as opposed to the standard
25.175 MHz dot clock because it was easy to derive from the 50 MHz
oscillator. This made anything clocked off of VSYNC run noticeably
slower than it should have. I did a few calculations and determined how
to tweak the blanking intervals ever so slightly to get back the
accuracy. Every VGA monitor I've seen has a certain tolerance for these
very slight changes.

Dave