[Coco] Fresh new retro computing article!

Michael Miller mvmiller12 at hotmail.com
Tue May 28 13:38:14 EDT 2019

Not gonna lie, I've read all of this, including the original article, and I am just not seeing the reason why there is such a blow up. You either agree with Boisey's points or you don't, but it seemed reasonable to me.

I have a CoCo2 system with a handful of cartridges, an Apple IIc and an Apple IIgs. I don’t really "participate" in the community for either machine, vut I do enjoy reading what others are doing with them. I've found that finding any hardware for these things is a real pain, though, and I include NEW hardware in that statement, not just the vintage stuff. Even when you do find a new custom piece of hardware for your vintage machine that you want, unless you happened to be lucky enough to catch the site of the designer right when it was initially released, you are unlikely to ever actually get one. All sorts of things I've seen I thought I'd like to get for one or another of these machines, but availability is just not there.

That said, as a CoCo enthusiast, what I personally would really like someone to make (my dream cartridge, so to speak) is a single cartridge with the Speech/Sound Pak, the RS-232 Pak, and the Orchestra 90 Pak all built in to it. Ideally this would work with one of those new 2- or 4-way mini-MPI's I've seen available every now and again. This way you can add your own Floppy controller (original Radio Shack, CocoSDC, or whatever) or Hard Drive controller and have maximum compatibility with the original CoCo experience that created my nostalgia for the platform in the first place. With modern FPGAs I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't be possible, and I would drop $$$ on this in a heartbeat.