[Coco] Modules - KRNP3 and sysgo

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon May 20 17:34:43 EDT 2019

On Monday 20 May 2019 04:52:23 pm Christopher R. Hawks wrote:

> On Mon, 20 May 2019 14:34:10 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 20 May 2019 01:28:43 pm coco at jechar.ca wrote:
> > >   What doew the Coco3 Nitro module KrnP3 do why is it sometimes in
> > > OS9Boot other times not?
> > >
> > >   Why is sysgo sometimes a part of OS9Boot and other times a
> > > seperate file on the startup disk ?
> > >
> > >   Charlie.
> >
> > knp3, was krnp3, is an error lookup, translating the error number
> > into an english language string and printing it, like "File not
> > found".
> >
> > knp4, is a F$regsdump call facility that I've found irreplaceable by
> > pad and pencil when writing in assembly code, stack cc, call it, and
> > unstack cc, and other than the milliseconds delay while it pushes
> > its output to stdout, the program you are inspecting never knows its
> > there, tracing how your code runs.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> +42
>
>     Thanks Gene!! Neat debug method!

Not /my/ code, Christopher.  Well maybe some, I adapted it to work on
both processors, but its been around for quite a while, before nitros9
by several years...  Used it heavily while I was writing vfy because I
wanted to make it so bulletproof it could work on a file in-situ. I
succeeded quite well I think. Make a  mistake, any mistake, and it
doesn't touch the file, but does spit out its help screen.  It's only
gotcha is its memory size needed in the file header, the math is 2's
complement, so to reduce the memory, use a figure above 32k, so it
overflows the 16 bits, throws the carry away. and writes the remainder
in the files header.  Its not a feature most use anyway, but I got tired
of launching all the "ts-edit git" with a #56 so it would ask for 56k of
buffer and made it permanent.  Makes life a wee bit simpler.

How was the show? Few have said so far.

> Christopher R. Hawks
> HAWKSoft
> --
> I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.
>        \   ^__^
>
>                ||----w |

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)