[Coco] MyRam vs, Rammer

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun May 12 22:10:48 EDT 2019

On Sunday 12 May 2019 08:55:35 pm Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

>  I've been using "MyRam" for about 6 years now and had little if no
> problems. I was originally using Rammer, but had it crash my system
> several times, hence why I switched to MyRam. But, that was back when
> the repo was in limbo and was suffering from an incomplete switch from
> Toolshed to LWTools as well as from CVS to Mercurial, so there were
> problems with anything in the repo at the time. Rammer may well be
> stable now. The thing I like about MyRam is the ability to shut it
> down on the fly to get memory back or restart it with a different size
> while running... no reboot required. Also MyRam needs no "iniz" or
> "init"... just run it. if you do a "dir /r0" and MyRam hasn't been
> initialized, it immediately inits itself, then formats itself before
> displaying the dir. To stop it, just "deiniz /r0" (for some reason,
> sometimes I have to do this twice) and it's gone with memory returned
> to OS-9. To change the size, first "deiniz /r0", then "dmode /r0
> sct=xxxx" then "dir /r0" and it's ready. Couldn't get much easier than
> that!
>
> B. Pierce
I'm glad theres a happy user.  Thanks Bill.

The doing it twice might possibly be because a shell is still cd'd into
it, a linux like problem in that you can't delete a path that something
is accessing, like a copy of bash cd'd to something in that path.  Next
time it happens, cycle thru the open windows and do a pwd in each one
just to be sure nothing is locking it.  My best guess anyway. Or deiniz
has a bug maybe,  ISTR noticing that once or twice myself and blamed it
on fat fingers.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)