[Coco] MyRam vs, Rammer

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun May 12 17:04:56 EDT 2019

On Sunday 12 May 2019 03:33:08 pm coco at jechar.ca wrote:

>   What are the pros and cons of MyRam vs Rammer for 512K and 2 Meg
> systems ?
>
>   Charlie.

From the author of MyRam, not a lot for a 512k system, although bringing
it into existence, just access it by any handy command, like a "dir /r0"
and it will be formatted and ready to use in about 100 milliseconds and
a deiniz /r0 it when done to demolish it and get every byte back for
other uses may still be an advantage.  See my README for how to adjust
its size in 8 kb chunks. I've used it for c compiler scratchpad set for
1.7 megabytes on my 2 meg machine, probably at least a thousand times.
If you don't have a hard drive, it will speed up a compile thats using a
floppy for scratchpad a very noticeable amount. With scsi hard drives,
and probably even the ide drives, it won't be noticeably faster because
the drive is not the speed limit, the coco is. It takes 11 seconds for
the coco3 to move a megabyte.  Thats slow considering modern SSD's with
a sata interface on a slow atom cpu are doing 120+ megs/second these
days.

example from one of my machine controller boxes, with a 1.4GHz dual core
atom cpu:
gene at shop:~$ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda1
[sudo] password for gene:

/dev/sda1:
 Timing cached reads:   1808 MB in  2.00 seconds = 904.15 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 368 MB in  3.00 seconds = 122.58 MB/sec
gene at shop:~$
And thats slow, another machine with more butterfly's in the cpu is doing
192 for that last figure.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)