[Coco] Bit-Banger Serial as external console?

Stephen Pereira stephen.m.pereira.sr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 15:18:32 EDT 2019

Hello again, folks,

I took Arthur’s advice and started looking for BBS code.  I ended up looking at an article in the November 1983 Rainbow titled “Remote Operation of the Color Computer”.  It has exactly what I think I need.  The tiny assembly language program installs input & output from a remote terminal along with the normal keyboard and screen.  When running, a person at the remote terminal can operate the CoCo as if they were directly on the system.

Of course, the trouble is that the program does not work for me on my CoCo 3.  The communication gets established, but the actual characters get scrambled in both directions.  I’ve tried 150, 300 and 600 Baud, as well as 1 or 2 stop bits, and 7 or 8 data bits.

I’m concerned that maybe this code cannot work properly on the CoCo 3 because it had not yet arrived?

Here’s a copy of the code if anyone else would like to try it out.  Please let me know if you are successful!

********************************
*           REMOTE             *
*   A REMOTE TERMINAL DRIVER   *
*        FOR THE COCO          *