[Coco] The GIME Chip???

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 10:31:20 EDT 2019

> On Mar 26, 2019, at 2:31 AM, Joe Schutts via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
> I have a quick question about the CoCo 3 GIME chip.
> First off, (as far as I know there were ONLY 2 versions of the GIME Chip that were made) is this correct???

Correct.  The 1986 and 1987 versions.

> Second, has anyone ever disassembled these (2 versions of chips) to see what the differences are???

Not to my knowledge.  The ’87 fixed some shortcomings of the earlier chip.
Mostly timing errors, though there are differences in the video outputs as well.

> Third, are these GIME Chips something that can be reproduced in another (BLANK) chip using an EEPROM Burner??? Or are these chips a One-Of-A-Kind and not available anymore???

It would take a properly configured FPGA to replace the GIME, which is not available anymore.
Such a project is underway and nearing completion.

- Ed