[Coco] High-Rez utility

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Tue Jun 18 01:53:19 EDT 2019

> On May 15, 2019, at 11:32 PM, Carlos Camacho <idevgames at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all, I'm keen to work on graphical adventures, along the lines of
> Calixto Island. They will be in BASIC with Assembly where needed. Looking
> at Don Inman's book (or was it one of the other 20+ CoCo books I have?
> Lol), he has a chapter on using draw commands to create the alphabet and
> 'printing' them to a pmode screen. It works well, but isn't superfast for
> paragraphs of text. I was also pondering handling text the way Steve is
> doing it in his shooter for the game's 'sprites (double buffering of sorts.)
>
> The third option is to use one of the many machine language programs that
> promises more than 32 columns. They were always in ads in the various
> magazines and I think a gazillion were released. :)
>
> Any in the archive? Any somebody has, which is not in the archive? Or
> perhaps one was listed out in a column of one of the magazines?
Yes, there were a bunch. the Solution, Screen 64 are a couple I remember. Some were just text, some added CHR$ functions to change the scroll area, etc, or even the number of characters per line. I think some are on the archive.

> As an aside, I vaguely remember some utility programs that gave you more
> than text on pmode screens. Things like menus and other GUI stuff.
I know Cercomp did Window Master with that kind of stuff, but that was Coco 3 only (they did have a high res print utility, both Coco 1/2 and 3 versions, that did variable width fonts etc like we talked about above).