[Coco] Modern RS-232 solutions for the CoCo?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jun 3 12:18:08 EDT 2019

On Monday 03 June 2019 09:17:38 am Mark Marlette wrote:

> Hand raised, vote for placement on your web page.
> Thanks Gene!

Done.  I think, to simplify fitting into todays nitros9, simply changing
its name might be enough. XMode settings will be different I expect.
But changing its name might also lead to confusion amongst the users, so
maybe that should be left along and change the descripter. Unforch. I
see that the descripters were made by ron lamardo's disassm, so bruces
comments are gone forever.
Theres also a package of patches, and this code should be checked against
that and patched as needed, because there was a cut & paste or two for
the hardware.  This would all need to be collated, tested and corrected
before turning it loose with a commit. My pack has those fixes, but I've
look at it several times now and can't spot the changes, dammit.

What I did was made an sacia-stf subdir in Genes-os9-stf, and put it all
in one place.  Maybe theres enough stuff to figure it out. I have split,
with vfy, one of my old floppies where all that Just Worked, but I'll
have to get drivewire working to get it all copied up this this 2T
drive.

And I've given up on dw, I can't get it to connect to the coco at all,
and a lot of java errors are being thrown, and also minicom can't talk
to it. But I don't seem to have the modules to talk straight serial
either. I have one of those gizmos with all the leds  on it for
troubleshooting serial stuff and can't get a flicker out of them.  They
are lit, 4 reds and 3 greens, but zero activity if I copy a small file
to what s/b the correct one.  I've got a usb<->serial cable or 3 but
I'll also need a db9 to db25 and I'm not sure where I last saw another
one of those critters.

Anyway, what I have found is there for the pulling, so see what you can
make of it, Mark.

wrote:   On Monday 03 June 2019 02:29:14 am L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
> > If you look at the source code for Bruce Isted’s SACIA driver, some
> > of the pin swaps DCD etc are documented in there, and have XMODEable
> > settings to accommodate them (I think in the current repository this
> > is now XACIA).
>
> except its faded into the sunset. The last .asm cpoy I have is dated
> in 2003. I actually have a copy of that, written by Bruce and IT'S
> FLOW CONTROLS WORKED. Both 7 wire and xon/xoff.  No dropped bits.
> Automatically internally named as its a conditional assembly, called
> DACIA if for Bruces dual pak, and SACIA if built for the rs-232 pak.
> And the 7 wire protocol Just Works. And it doesn't work for anything
> later called sc6551. If anyone wants a copy, I'll move a copy of it to
> my web page. IMO it should go back into nitros9 as the default rs232
> pack driver.
>
> > Sent from my iPhone

> > > That, alone, would make me want one!
> > >
> > >        — Allen