[Coco] Modern RS-232 solutions for the CoCo?

Mark Marlette mmarlette at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 3 09:17:38 EDT 2019

Hand raised, vote for placement on your web page.
Thanks Gene!

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 6:50 AM, Gene Heskett<gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:   On Monday 03 June 2019 02:29:14 am L. Curtis Boyle wrote:

> If you look at the source code for Bruce Isted’s SACIA driver, some of
> the pin swaps DCD etc are documented in there, and have XMODEable
> settings to accommodate them (I think in the current repository this
> is now XACIA).

except its faded into the sunset. The last .asm cpoy I have is dated in
2003. I actually have a copy of that, written by Bruce and IT'S FLOW
CONTROLS WORKED. Both 7 wire and xon/xoff.  No dropped bits.
Automatically internally named as its a conditional assembly, called
DACIA if for Bruces dual pak, and SACIA if built for the rs-232 pak.
And the 7 wire protocol Just Works. And it doesn't work for anything
later called sc6551. If anyone wants a copy, I'll move a copy of it to
my web page. IMO it should go back into nitros9 as the default rs232
pack driver.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> >> I added the same functionality, but found a way to re-use some of
> >> the existing 6551 register bits to enable the higher bps rates, so
> >> the unit can still live within the same IO region as the existing
> >> RS232 and modem paks.
> >>
> >> CMD also rewired DSR to the DCD input pin on the 6551, as I recall,
> >> to get around the issue that the 6551 will not transmit when DSR is
> >> low.  I think they also fixed an issue with CTS as well.
> >
> > That, alone, would make me want one!
> >
> >        — Allen
> >

> > --

Cheers, Gene Heskett