[Coco] converted AGD games - BIGPacks v2.4 released

Pere Serrat psergm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 06:40:59 EDT 2019

Hi Art,
yes that's right!

I could add that the AGD files don't exist while developping the games.
Programmers use the AGD application to write the events and draw the
graphic parts. Then everything is put together when they compile the
executable/loadable file say .tap or .sna
The converter that creates the AGD file from the snapshot existed
previously
for Spectrum machines and maybe other platforms, so we are re-using it.

If I am not wrong, the C compiler existed too to get a Z80 source code file.
What we had to do here was to change every command to make it create the
best
possible 6809 code sequence. Mostly are function calls (to the engine)
so the only work is to set the needed parameters and call the correct
function.
Only the port of the Z80 engine to 6809 code had to be done from scratch.

The biggest hurdle is that there are a lot of different AGD versions
(1.0 to 4.8)
and the memory map differ from one another making it impossible to convert
some games unless you create a dedicated release of the converter for each
version. We took this approach ...

cheers
pere

Ps The AGD project is in permanent development, every now and then they add
new commands or features that allow for more complex game control
We have added as many of these as we have discovered!