[Coco] Has anyone seen these? Any info?

wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrcooke at wrcooke.net
Tue Jul 9 14:29:47 EDT 2019

     On July 9, 2019 at 12:38 PM Salvador Garcia via Coco
     <[1]coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
     Not I. :-S
     I took a closer look at the description. It looks like a very
     minimalist ROM board for the CoCo. Interesting that it uses EEPROMs,
     and not EPROMs. Another item that I found interesting was that I
     thought that the naming convention for EEPROMS was 28xxx. This
     component follows the naming convention of EPROMs (27xxx).
     Another interesting feature is that it has a jumper labeled
     AUTOSTART. I assume that the user can configure this cart to either
     autostart or not autostart on power up. Pin (or pad) 9, Vcc is
     shorter than the rest, so that means that if the cartridge is pulled
     while CoCo is ON, it stands a chance of shutting down the cart
     before causing damage to it or the CoCo.
     A slight bit of misinformation is that the seller says that EPROMs
     can only be programmed once. Given a ultra violet lamp and a
     programmer, they can be programmed multiple times.
     It looks like an interesting item for when audio is not
     needed/necessary. For any software that wants to make a sound,
     John's GMC is the way to go.
     Salvador

   The 27c512 is an EPROM, not EEPROM.  It is, when the package has a
   quartz window, erasable.  However, they make OTP (one time programmable
   ) versions which can't be erased so are effectively not
   reprogrammable.  The quartz window is expensive.  That is a
   cost-cutting measure.

   Will

     On Monday, July 8, 2019, 09:16:51 PM CDT, rietveld rietveld