[Coco] co80 and cowprs modules in NitrOS-9 [WAS: format problems]

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 15:50:13 EST 2019

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 8:08 PM Gene Heskett wrote:
> It sure does. and the subject being the wordpack cards which brings up a
> question: early in the original co80 code is a 16 byte data table,
> written to the cg chip in the wordpack, and I wondering if it uses the
> oem values yet, or if my kit of changes was used. They had the effect of
> giving it a 25 line display, about 1.5" larger overall and considerably
> more readable than the oem version which gave a 24 line postcard in the
> middle of a 13" monitor. Wasted over half of the monitors screen real
> estate, and burning into the screen in a year or so.

BTW, hereby hopefully a clarification on "co80", this name has been
used for at least two different drivers, but the situation in NitrOS-9
is this (and since of recently documented in the source file headers):

level1/modules/co80.asm:
* CO80 - CRT9128 80 Column Co-Driver for VTIO
* This driver came with OS-9 Level One V2.00, but is not
* written for the 6845-based WordPak RS (I/II).
* It works with a rare CRT9128-based PBJ WordPak prototype.

level1/modules/cowprs.asm:
* COWP - PBJ WordPak RS Co-Driver for VTIO
* Adapted from CO80 for the WordPak RS.
* 2017/07/01 - Initial driver implementation from CO80 - lfantoniosi

So, the original(?) co80 driver was for the 9128-based prototype, and
we have kept the naming that way. The later PBJ cards (and branded
"RS") are based on the 6845 chips and use the cowprs module.

A few of us have the remake of the 9128-based prototype (thanks to Mr.
CoCoDemus) and some even the original.  I wonder if anyone is using it
with NitrOS-9. In the latest snapshot (just uploaded one now) the co80
hardware address is no longer hardcoded in the driver, but is taken
from the device descriptor. So please verify the descriptor if using
this card.

A lot more people have the RS version, I suppose. I would be
interested in hearing how well both drivers work with the latest
snapshots.

Regards,
Tormod