[Coco] format problems

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Jan 19 16:24:55 EST 2019

Greetings;

I have managed to get the twin seagate 1G drives to spin up again, so my
coco is running. My latest build of nitros9 has a format command that
$10C7 byte long, same as my latest nitros9 build for a 6309.

Unforrtunately, coming back up here and getting a session of minicom
started, I find the latest disk image I have mounted in drivewire is
dated in Mar 2016.  Oops, a bit old. But now my script to backup
everything, pull the newest and build it, apparently has a permission
problem, complaining that I need to restore /opt to root:root with
permissions of 0755.  Just one problem, it allready is! So I wound up
cat'ing the script and running it by hand and everything worked but the
hgpull, which I'd bet is a typu, and s/b hg pull. Yup typu.

At the end of all this, it looks as if I have exactly the same code as my
March 2016 build, possibly with some descriptor fixes by Chris Hawk.
Format it unchanged. Still needs 11170 bytes of sysram, but but I only
have 10k available. That equals an out of ram crash by about the 3rd
track written to a floppy. Since it writes a track at a time while
formatting, that seems like its asking for more memory than it needs.
But adjusting its memory either direction only makes it crash before
even stepping to the next track. So I still can't format anything.

Whats the maximum size I can merge to make a shell, this one is $1DC7
long.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)