[Coco] looking for latest toolshed location

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Dec 1 13:28:43 EST 2019

On Friday 29 November 2019 21:02:25 Mark J. Blair wrote:

> > On Nov 29, 2019, at 5:00 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > What I am upset about is not drivewire, but sourceforge's hiding of
> > the src for nitros9.  And I'm not talking about that dated tarball
> > sourceforge shows you, but won't let you have but the tarball those
> > dsk's were made from.
>
> How is the source hidden? If I'm not mistaken, the latest NitrOS-9
> source can be browsed at:
>
>   https://sourceforge.net/p/nitros9/code/ci/default/tree/
>
> And to get a local copy of the latest source and its full history of
> changes back to April 4, 2002, install mercurial and type:
>
>   hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/nitros9/code nitros9-code

I likely have a script that does that allready, but I have bigger
problems here Mark, my main, does everything linux box caught fire
friday about sundown, bad enough I had to use a fire extinguisher to put
it put. Stunk up the place something terrible. Just today I recalled I
had and elderly Dell 745 that I had pulled off my G0704 milling machine
due to a blown pci bus driver, so as I'd removed the drives to save them
from the cold shock of wheeling that huge tower out to the back porch to
get rid of the odor of burning mobo, I extracted the Dell from the
midden heap in the garage, made the sata cables reach the 2 drive pocket
in the dell, brought the dell in an propped it up on the box my heart
pacemaker monitor came in.  Got an intel cpu, old & slow compared to the
quad core phenom, but it did, after a couple a couple false starts and a
couple of e2fscks over the 3TB of drives I did put in, manage to get
booted, so at least I have email flowing.

Talk about withdrawall.

But now maybe I can get online and get enough stuff ordered to rebuild
the tower. Motherboard, more modern mutlicore cpu, and enough memory,
well north of $600 I expect. This may be running the same boot file, but
its 5% of the speed of the phenom. Only 2Gig of ram, the phenom had 8.
I've got 4 other machines scattered about the place, all running metal
carving machines, but the only one I've tried running a browser on was
the rpi4 and theres not even a stool to sit on there.

> Once you have your local source tree clone, you can run "hg pull" and
> "hg update" as needed to get new changes. The clone command above is
> shown at the web page I linked to above, but that may not be obvious
> if you don't know what to look for ahead of time. The most recent
> NitrOS-9 commit I see there is dated 2019-11-16.

None of that except the tree of individual files has been visible to me.

> > On Nov 29, 2019, at 2:45 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Typical M$ behavior, and I read someplace that M$ has bought
> > sourceforge.
>
> I believe you're thinking of github. Microsoft bought github a while
> back. I'm one of the raving anti-MS folks who moved his repositories
> from github to gitlab in response, but I probably over-reacted. As far
> as I can tell, MS hasn't gotten around to breaking github yet. I tend
> to distrust SourceForge because of things they've done in the past,
> and I'd be pleased if NitrOS-9 and its friends moved to github or
> gitlab,

So would I, as log as github stays unbroken. I can do a git clone of
linuxcnc, sub one file that hasn't been committed yet, build it from
scratch and install it, all on the rpi4, in under 2 hours.  Whats not to
like?  The rpi4 will use a bit less that 3G of swap on a 2G rpi4, so
thats not exactly a std build, but thats what we do isn't it? ;-)

> --
> Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
> http://www.nf6x.net/

Cheers, Gene Heskett