[Coco] CoCo games converted for the Tano/Dragon - new versions

Pere Serrat psergm at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 13:11:43 EST 2019

Hello Tano/Dragon users,
I played RUSH'N ASSAULT with my sons and they told me that it would be
nice to have a 'key' to throw a bomb instead of a long press
on the JSTK button that simply wastes 5-6 bullets, pity!
I looked at the disassembled source code and found the place where the
buttons are tested. I have added a keyboard test when the
program calls the JSTK ROM function in a way that it detects and uses
these keys:
For Right Player: '1' to fire one bullet -  'A' to throw a  bomb
For Left Player:  '9' to fire one bullet  -   'I' to throw a  bomb
Of course, if you choose only one button joystick, then it will keep on
waiting for a long button press to throw a bomb,
meanwhile it will be wasting bullets :-(
When I decided to play them on the real Tano with the VGA module (nice
artifacted PM4) I realized that in any converted 'CoCo' game,
once sound is activated, the JSTK read routine generates a well know
noise for the Dragon users. Very awful to me!
I have 'intercepted' the Joystick ROM call and inserted before an
AudioOff so that the noise is no more generated.
To avoid editing the binaries, I have patched them from the Basic
loader, easier for me. This affects all of the games except for the
F-16 because it was programmed natively instead of using ROM calls and
so the audio is cut before reading JSTKs
Color Car Action v1.2
Gantelet v1.1
Marble Maze v1.1
Rush'n Assault v1.2
I include here the affected games, both for CPUs (6809 and 6309) in two
zips for short and long filenames
In the pack come the two versions for a game recently optimized for the
HD6309 by L.Curtis Boyle, who has sent to me both
the original and the 6309 version.
Skiing (1980)(R.G.Kilgus)
You will find more info and download the last version files here:
http://archive.worldofdragon.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7506&p=19652#p19652
http://www.retrowiki.es/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=200035241&p=200114927#p200114927
enjoy
pere