[Coco] A Basic09 Query

James Jones jejones3141 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 09:43:02 EDT 2019

I don't know how PI is implemented; that would take some looking through
the source.

Yes, strictly speaking SQ isn't necessary. OTOH ^ isn't necessary, since
you could write x^y as exp(y * log(x)). The creators of BASIC09 must've
thought it worth not  having to write x*x, and I can agree with them:
consider SQ(sin(x)*y(15*i+3)/(5+sgn(w))). You either get to replicate a
long tedious computation (sure you didn't make a mistake writing it the
second time?) or create a gratuitous variable to hold the expression you
want to square.