[Coco] FPGA projects

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Mon Apr 8 21:48:03 EDT 2019

Walter Zambotti wrote:

> If I wanted to get into a CoCo FPGA which one has the best support and
> following for our CoCo community?

> Mr CoCo (The mister project)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1870135613286506/

Probably the easiest w/ the most support is the MiSTer project and then using Roger’s Mr. CoCo.  You don’t have to program the FPGA yourself.  Just build an SDC card using a pretty good guide and copy cores and ROMS and to it.  With the added benefit that it can emulate many other systems. Documentation seems good.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mistercoco/
https://www.mistercores.com/tandy-color-computer-3/

> Matchbox CoCo

If you can build one yourself (order PCB’s parts and solder it together) OR if you could get someone to build one for you (Roger was willing to do it for a while for $300 – complete setup), Roger’s Matchbox CoCo is a nice implementation of the CoCo3 w/ an SDC reader that you can load-up SDK with …  but you still have to program the FPGA if you build it or want to stay up w/ the latest version. Not the best documentation.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/matchboxcoco/
http://www.cococommunity.net/how-to-build-your-own-coco-4/

> CoCo3FPGA

CoCo3FPGA – seems to me to be the one that is the roughest around the edges.  (not so great documentation – last time I set it up, it was a trial and error process – I need to revisit it again).  However, it being open source is what I like about it most and someday may be able to dig into and see if I could help w/ development.