[Coco] Direct page register question

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 17:03:37 EDT 2018

 Thanks Dave, I really appreciate your help. I am documenting all of this for posterity (mainly my own<eg>) and I have to be sure I understand how this works.

Salvador

    On Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 3:00:05 PM CDT, Dave Philipsen <dave at davebiz.com> wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2018, at 2:40 PM, Salvador Garcia via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> I want to understand this fully.
>
> LDA $85
>
> When will this be assembled as direct page and when as extended addressing?

The only time it would be assembled as extended is if you SETDP to something other than page zero.

> I understand the use of SETDP and the less than symbol (<),
>
> Why is the following assembled as extended?
>
>    LDA  #$40
>    TFR  A, DP
>
>    SETDP $40
>      LDA $85

Because the $85 is interpreted as $0085 and it’s no longer in the direct page.

> Would this be assembled as direct page?
>
>    LDA  #$22
>    TFR  A, DP
>
>    LDA $85

Yes, given that you haven’t told the assembler that the direct page has changed from the default of $00.