[Coco] A note to Android phone users

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Oct 30 17:39:29 EDT 2018

On Tuesday 30 October 2018 16:19:00 Ken Flanagan wrote:

> Unless you had a hacked version of Samsung Pay on your Samsung device
> (has to have NFC built in), I find it hard to believe that app would
> be responsible. Your actual card number is not transmitted to the
> payment terminal. I personally use Google Pay on my S8, but only
> because I prefer the interface over Samsung's.

The point being that someone, possibly even an employee of samsung pay,
was phishing for CC data. And what he had was dead accurate until the
csv number. Would not quote to me what he had. By then since I'd never
heard of samsung pay, I had smoke coming out of both ears, let him have
a small piece of my mind I could spare and hung up on the AH. He had the
audacity to redial my number before I could call my bank, wash, rinse
and repeat. Then I drove to the bank and had Sharon initiate a new card.
She was very adamant that it was a phisher. She has an andriod phone but
has never used that service, not likeing the smell she was getting from
their spam. Besides, since when does an alcatel phone have an NFC built
in? And the sim card in mine expired 3 or 4 months back. Shrug. I keep
the woofs paid up, and borrow hers if I think I might need a phone
wherever I'm going. Both vehicles are 4wd, so unless I wreck, I'll get
home, in any weather I've encountered in WV since I came here in 84.

I learned to drive in the winter of 1950 in Iowa. There are a few left
that remember it, but for those that do, the memories are vivid. We did
70 mph on old US-6, when it was glare ice 5 to 6" thick.  Yeah, I
remember it well. Never bent a thing either.  That, and a few summers
campaigning on a methanol burning class c go-kart capable of 130 mph,
will make a good driver out of one. But you will also drive a passenger
who took drivers ed, out of their skull, the concept of a vehicle being
a guided missile with limited traction so you must drive by watching the
road closely and constantly calculating where that vehicle you can see
in the distance is going to be when you get there. One always leaves
room to take evasive action given the traction available. But the
drivers ed people just cannot grasp that concept.

Same theory for this phishing encounter, leave space for evasive action.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)