[Coco] Assembly lang questions

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 19:15:34 EDT 2018

Hi all, I am following the Long Branch Never video where PaulĀ  displays the message HELLO WORLD on the screen.
He uses char(32) for the space, but it displays as black. To fix this he substituted the ASCII from 32 to something else (I think it was 76?) That printed out the space as expected. What I did not understand is why chr(32) displayed as a black box.

I understand that reverse video chars are lower case, but I never heard of a lower case space :-).

He later modifies the program to start displaying chars at $500 which pushed the text line below the copyright notice. The cursor blinked one or two lines above the displayed text, so this got me wondering. Is there any way to know the cursor's position?

I am enjoying this video series and also Steve Bjork's series on COCOTALK!

Salvador