[Coco] Serial to USB adapter Question

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Oct 9 19:04:18 EDT 2018

On Tuesday 09 October 2018 18:24:37 Stephen Fischer wrote:

> Not stocked by Fry's :(
>
> Not wanting to come home with nothing I got:
>
> SABRENT Model: SBT-USC6M $7.99

At that price that almost has to be a bogus pl2303. And that actually has
a better chance of working than the real thing as it might have the bug
fixed, which should cost around $25 if it was the real thing.

> https://www.sabrent.com/product/SBT-USC6M/6-feet-usb-rs-232-db9-serial
>-9-pin-adapter-prolific-pl2303/
>
> Crossing My Fingers.

You might need to tie them in knots. I have had pl2303 problems enough
that they are on my personal black-list. The story I've read is that
they go to sleep to save power, but throw away the first bit waking up.
Not terribly important in a tcp protocol since tcp will get a bad
checksum and ask for a re-transmission, which is of course then good,
and the rest of the exchange then proceeds. It's even possible it will
work with drivewire as I believe theres a keep alive in that protocol
which prevents it from going to sleep. One of my ftdi adapters has data
leds, and I see a once a second burst of traffic on the drivewire cables
as long as its working correctly.

I could be full of it, but thats the story I got after it kept
disconnecting a printer many years ago.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)