[Coco] working with the sdc

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Nov 3 22:54:04 EDT 2018

On Saturday 03 November 2018 17:01:16 tfadden wrote:

> [...]
I did have all that, running nitros9 only. No capability of running dw
under DEB because my burnt copy of HDB-DOS is too old. So I've
apparently no way to get SETUP.DSK into a format I can plug into the
coco3 to update it. Under nitros9, a  dsk is a disk image, and you
overwrite it to the real storage media starting at track and sector
zero. Perhaps that is not how the sdc does it? Before I wrote it,
linux's automatic disk recognizer created /dev/sde and /dev/sde1 which
would have been the dos partition 1 of a vfat16 or vfat32 formatted sd.
So I wrote SETUP.DSK to the body of the disk, or to /dev/sde, not sde1.

I'll see if I can restore it (the sd card) to a fat16 blank state, but I
think what I really have to do is write it to a floppy, which because
the floppy is a 256 byte sector, I cannot do on this machine with its
broken FDC chip.

I have other linux boxen I might use for that as I keep an old Dell
around for programming the fpga's on the interfacing cards that drive my
lathes and milling machines. Its just the bother of dragging it in from
its normal spot in the garage. And then recalling the magic twanger
stuff to make its FDC write an rsbasic image in 256 byte sectors. Fun
and games, no. If I can mount that machine useing sshfs, then moving the
file is easy. Then I assume I can use hdb-dos to format the floppy, then
carry it to the Dell to install SETUP.DSK and  bring it back to put it
to work  on the coco3. Then the question becomes which do I boot to, the
old hdb-dos in the disto controller, or the sdc 1.2 that I've no clue
how to make it run something from a floppy. The instructions for that
aren't in the little 1 page pdf. And the docs on the sdc are for 1.6,
not 1.2.

So I'm still contemplating what to do next. Then broken fdc on this $300
Asus motherboard upsets me everytime I need to use it for a non dos use.
Sigh..

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)