[Coco] Patching NitrOS9 for 8 meg

Doug Fraser frase072 at telus.net
Thu May 3 09:42:30 EDT 2018

What about the nitros9 level 3 code to free up system ram? If that's what's needed then we possibly have the means to move the scf and rbf stuff to local ram and free up system ram and maybe have room for the larger memory map.  Just a thought.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Bill Pierce via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> Date: 2018-05-03  02:16  (GMT-08:00) To: coco at maltedmedia.com Cc: Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com> Subject: Re: [Coco] Patching NitrOS9 for 8 meg
Doug, I wondered the same thing until it was explained to me, then I got involved with the NitrOS9 development and saw for myself, the whole problem with more than 2 meg of memory is the size of the memory map table kept in system memory. Even just at 4 meg, the table grows to be twice what it is. At 8 meg it's 4 times as large!!
If I remember correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), the memory allocation table is 256 bytes, which is 1 byte per 8k block (8*256=2meg). A memory map for 8 meg would take up 1k of system space and right now, system space is valuable.
There are probably ways around this, but would most likely involve a major rewrite of how the map is accessed. As for actual access to the memory, only minor patching would be needed.