[Coco] Kreider OS-9 C Library

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed May 2 10:53:49 EDT 2018

On Wednesday 02 May 2018 09:10:31 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

> Gene, I'm not sure if the library itself was ever updated. As soon as
> I'm able to go back into doing Coco stuff, I plan to release an
> updated version though. I've found things that were missing from the
> Kreider's last version (CLIB_91) and the "KLIB" which was his 1st
> release. KLIB was basically a copy of Microware's CLIB with a few
> additions and his CLIB_91 had many additions, but omitted several
> things. I have 2 or 3 different source sets and I want to compare them
> for the latest offerings. Compiling them is a pain in the butt as you
> HAVE to use the original CLIB along with the original c.pass1,
> c.pass2, c.opt, c.asm, c.opt, and c.link. You can't use any of the
> updated tools as it produces unusable libraries, especially RMA &
> RLINK. RMA in particular seems to add an extra 0 to the end of the
> object file. This doesn't affect normal programming, but wrecks havoc
> on libraries after linking as the offset to the next linked file is
> incorrect. This happens with all versions of RMA.

I must be and its been a few years, useing the originals, including
cprep19, clib_t from the south american and various combo's of the asms,
rma, and linkers. Not to mention Mikes ansifront and some of the other
helpers. Never had such a problem. The only problem I ever had was that
I was never able to work out clib_t's link order so I didn't need but
one copy of a function in the libs. That would have been nicely fixed if
we had a linker that started at the top of the lib files when resolving
dependencies. Sadly we don't, it reads thru once, and if it gets to the
end without resolving everything it was tuff luck. So I've wound up
appending another copy of each function, one at a time, until the linker
could find its butt with the one pass it used.

I can't even recall now, which assembler I was using back then, too much
water and a pulmonary embolism 3 years back that damned near put a ~30~
on the end of my story has rinsed away some of the memories from 25+
years ago.

rxsz-3.3.6 is a big hunk of code. Paul Jerkatis and I got into some
heated discussions on the list back when it was on princeton, about
codeing equivalencies that were lots faster, and he finally bailed,
which IMO was a good thing, we did not need his foot dragging in our
coding tools. But he sent me the sources and I built it on the first try
after he had published auto-crashers several times, using the
replacement crep19 that he wouldn't touch because it wasn't a MicroWare
pile of code.

He bought a Sun Workstation and left the coco environment the next day
after I uploaded good rzsz code to rtsi. I've since managed to speed it
up considerably and I think rtsi has 2 or 3 different copies, so find
the latest and biggest dated version if you ever need it again. The
latest/fastest will be larger because I incorporated the table lookup
crc calculator.  Gained about 125 cps in overall speed on a stock coco3.
My goal was to make it work at 9600, but the best I was able to get was
equ to 7400 on a coco3 with a 63C09 in it. The only way to get there
would have been a major rewrite, converting it to 256 byte buffer at a
time from character at a time. But by then I was about burned out, and
couldn't figure out how to do the last fragment, so what you have is it.
Sorry doesn't cut it, but thats it.  We have much better and faster ways
to move stuff today anyway.

> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way
> to slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Take care Bill. I gotta dress and take the missus to the sawbones.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)