[Coco] CM8 or LCD Monitor

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 13:20:23 EDT 2018

 Hi Jack!
You are right, the Analog RGB port on the bottom of the CoCo 3 can't be directly connected to any modern monitor. Although the ARGB standard is roughly similar to VGA, it is different enough for it to not be compatible with VGA monitors.

Having said that, there are ways to connect the CoCo3 to a modern display (or TV) by using the RF, composite or ARGB connectors:

RF: By using an RCA to RF adapter, you can connect the RF out of the CoCo3 to the RF IN of the TV. Note that this is the simplest and cheapest way, but I suspect that it is also the lowest quality. You can use an adapter like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Conwork-6-Pack-Coaxial-Adapter-Connector/dp/B01DRQF8RS/ref=sr_1_7

Composite: Having a TV with composite IN allows you to connect the CoCo3 composite out to the TV's composite IN.

ARGB: As recommended, the Switch-a-roo is a fine solution. I did a write up of this device in the last issue of the CoCo ~123 newsletter (link below). This is not the only option though. Cloud 9 is selling Luis' Espectro. The Espectro connects to the ARGB port and is an external device that connects to the VGA port of the TV or display. The Switch-a-roo also connects to the ARGB port. This device is actually an intelligent cable (with electronics inside) that connects to a SCART to HDMI converter which in turn connects to the TV's HDMI port. Roy Justus also makes an ARGB to VGA converter for the CoCo3. Link below. You will have to check with Cloud 9 and Roy Justus to see about availbility.

Obviously, the cheapest option is the RCA to RF adapter, followed by the Switch-a-roo then the Espectro. Roy's product falls somewhere in there, but I am unsure of its price.  Also, depending on which you choose, you'll need a display that has either a VGA or HDMI port. Most TVs nowadays have both. The VGA port is getting somewhat dated, so make sure your TV has this port. On the other hand, few LCD monitors have an HDMI port. This may change drastically in the near future as HDMI slowly replaces VGA.

CoCo ~123 newsletter:
http://www.glensideccc.com/data/library/newsletters/gccc38_1nl.pdf

Roy Justus ARGB to VGA converter:
http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/RGB_to_VGA_Converter