[Coco] Drivewire cable lengths

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jul 19 10:37:39 EDT 2018

On Thursday 19 July 2018 09:44:43 Nathan Byrd wrote:

> I haven't tried it yet (planning to play around with it soon) - but
> another idea could be to use a RS-232 to Bluetooth converter, as long
> as the PC supports the Serial Port Profile it might be another option
> without running a long wire? I know with config changes the Raspberry
> Pi supports Serial Port Profile for instance, depending on your PC
> might just work as well or work with a Bluetooth adapter.
>

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018, 7:13 AM Bill Pierce via Coco
> <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> wrote:
> > I don't know the maximum length, but I know Gene had his server in
> > his house and his Coco in his workshop in his back yard. I'm pretty
> > sure he said it was better than 50 feet. So, across the room should
> > be no problem.
> >

> > Bill Pierce
> > "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way
> > to slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull
> >
> > My Music from the Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer 2 & 3
> > https://sites.google.com/site/dabarnstudio/
> > Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
> > http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
> >
> > E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

I have a 10 meter usb cable with a hub driver in each end, plugged into a
ttyusb port on this linux box, and into a 7 port hub on the coco3's
desk, with a 3 foot drivewire cable plugged into a serial to usb adapter
about 3 feet long, plugged into that hub. When I have the coco3 running,
and am working on code, I take a $110 brother B&W laser printer down and
park it on the top shelf of the coco3's desk, plugged into that same 7
port hub. cups finds it instantly. That printer is available for the
coco3's use by way of the /p channel driver in drivewire, drivewire
dumps that output to /p, in a separate directory here, inotifywait then
tells a bash script I wrote to feed that file back to that printer thru
cups. And it all just works. Takes about 10 seconds after getting the
shell prompt back on the coco3, to start printing because of the drum
warmup, but an assembly listing then almost flies out of the printer as
its a 19 pages per minute printer.

Conclusion is that with a well built usb-2 cable, maximum cable length is
whatever it takes to reach.

But the last time I turned on the coco3, it sat and waited for the 2 1G
scsi drives to come online, which they did not. I suspect stiction but a
whack on the cage they are in did not break them loose. I had other
things to do so did not attempt to put them in my hand to start them.
They have had a history of being stuck if turned off for a couple weeks
for at least 5 years, but ran just fine once started. Those drives are
from an old Amiga, so probably have in excess of 100,000 head flying
hours on them.

Drives can last a long time. The Terabyte drive I use with amanda on this
machine for backups, has in excess of 70,000 head flying hours on it
now. And no sign of an upcoming failure yet, the 25 reallocated sectors
it had the first time I had smartctl ask it at about 3000 hours, have
not been added to in all that time.

> > I am using an old DB25 A/B switcher with DB9 to D25 adapters

> > pairlist5.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/coco
> >
> > --

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)