[Coco] WiFi modem.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Jan 19 10:59:38 EST 2018

On Friday 19 January 2018 10:39:22 Allen Huffman wrote:

> > On Jan 19, 2018, at 9:32 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > I might point out that fleabay also has RS485 plugins that are 4
> > wire ttl on one end, power, ground, send and receive, and the
> > differential 2 wire rs485 on the other, giving a megabaud+ capable
> > path, half duplex for about a buck a copy.
>
> At my previous job, I worked on RS485 and Modbus protocol. At my
> current job, we use RS485 for communicating between
> Power-over-Ethernet “smart building” controllers. RS485 is also used
> for DMX lighting, which I also have worked with.
>
> I have found some of these cheap USB-RS485 have issues working with
> DMX (which may explain why DMX interfaces are so stupidly expensive).
>
> You are suggesting using something like RS485 between CoCo and a PC
> with a cheap interface, rather than RS232?
>
> 		— A
Yes. With fpga stuff so cheap, it seems reasonable to make our own
6551 "core" with all its warts and broken flow controls fixed. Faceing
an rs485 card in the pc, or wherever you wanted the coco to talk to, its
max data rate of around 100k/sec could be very easily done.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
The above content, added by Maurice E. Heskett, is Copyright 2018 by
Maurice E. Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)