[Coco] WiFi modem.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Jan 19 10:32:39 EST 2018

On Friday 19 January 2018 09:57:19 Allen Huffman wrote:

> Before we commission a run on RS232, maybe we can commission it to do
> a bit more.
>
> Do most of us want the DB25 to connect to old stuff? Or plan to use
> adapters to go to something mode modern?
>
> A solution that gave us the potential for RS232, bluetooth and WiFi
> from optional plug in modules (these are available for a few dollars
> each from eBay and Amazon and such) would be huge.

I might point out that fleabay also has RS485 plugins that are 4 wire ttl
on one end, power, ground, send and receive, and the differential 2 wire
rs485 on the other, giving a megabaud+ capable path, half duplex for
about a buck a copy. Another of them on the far end of a meters long
cable gives you back the 4 wire ttl signal. With the right uart, and the
6551 isn't it, drivewire could be pushed up in speed by quite a
noticeable amount. Flow control would have to be done with xon/xoff
though since the 2 wire isn't the 7 wire we generally need.

I am currently using 2 of them to translate an encoder with differential
outputs whose output at full speed of the motor is approaching a
megabaud on one of my milling machines. Works great, in a one direction
no handshakes needed situation. I see no reason a small fpga couldn't
make it look like the 7wire to the outside world.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
The above content, added by Maurice E. Heskett, is Copyright 2018 by
Maurice E. Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)