[Coco] ZORK and DriveWire

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 18:21:11 EST 2018

​On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 14, 2018, at 4:49 PM, rietveld rietveld <rietveldh at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I m getting an error also. Not sure why?   When I load straight from vcc
> it does work?
>
> Emulators emulate actual hardware, and as such, they should be able to run
> anything a real CoCo can. There are things where emulators fall short on,
> like copy protected disks and such, but in general, they should work.

​Well in the case of VCC it supports DMK disk image format which is one of
the main disk image formats used for copies of copy protected games.  There
is a converter for these DMK disk images to convert them to SDF for use on
the CoCoSDC.​

> Drivewire and hard drive BASICS like RGB-DOS have their own way or reading
> and writing sectors, and hook in to the disk basic ROM. BASIC programs and
> anything that uses the legal ROM calls often works fine on these systems.
> But, any code that does it’s own disk access by writing to the WD1773
> floppy drive controller chip won’t work since it’s not talking to the
> Drivewire code. VIP Library and many other things did this, and would never
> run under RGB-DOS or Drivewire.

​That is true, if these games are using their own floppy controller
routines and not the DSKCON call then yeah this is probably why not working
with DriveWire.

Though there is one system I know of that can verify this.  The CoCo3FPGA
project emulates the FDC hardware through DriveWire.  I might have to try
this out. :)​

> Infocom May do the same thing.

​​

| David Ladd a.k.a. PacoOtaktay a.k.a. Drencor                          |
| YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay                      |
| YouTube Gaming Live: https://gaming.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay/live |
| Websites: http://dwladd.com     &     http://www.theterrorzone.com    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/113262444659438038657                    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/+DavidLaddPacoOtaktay                    |
| Do you have your CoCo 3 yet?                                          |