[Coco] Does anyone have the documentation for MLBASIC 2.0?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jan 11 13:07:13 EST 2018

On Thursday 11 January 2018 10:48:40 Salvador Garcia via Coco wrote:

>  Many, if not all, modern scanner and their software allow scans
> directly to multi paged PDF files. I have the Canon Lide 70 and I can
> scan a multipage document directly to PDF without any problems.
> Another possible route is to scan it using OCR and then "print" the
> resulting document to PDF. I've never done that (yet) so the
> details/quirks evade me. Salvador

Scanning directly to the pdf will give you huge files because the whole
page is then a rasterized image. You have to scan at or above 300 dpi
for good image quality.

OTOH, scanning into a decent OCR program requires the ocr be familiar
with the font, and that the source image be done at 600+ dpi.  Then the
text must be read, and obvious errors fixed.

Then, from that text file, a pdf thats about 5% of the size of scanning
direct can be made. But probably losing any fancy calligraphy or images,
depending on the OCR. I've little experience, but it would make sense
for the OCR to give up and save the image once its obvious it does not
recognize the character. That switch should be at an error level
settable when the page image is fed to the OCR.

Method 1 is quite a bit faster, but the pdf's will be huge if the fine
details are to be adequately preserved.

And just to see if I know what I'm talking about, I just scanned one side
of an Orkin bill. its 3 color, black/white/red. At 600 dpi, the page
scan was 200 megabytes, and the resultant ocr wasn't readable, way too
many mistakes. Text looked like a non-english language.
So I killed that image and am now loading one at 2400 dpi. With 8GB of
ram to play in, I think kooka, the driver behind all this has crashed.
Its had 1 core at 100% for 9 minutes and its reporting a tmp of 78C for
something, which when I look it upin gkrellm, is the temp of my gfx
card. I was able to kill the process, but with a 32 bit install, the
data is just too darned big for this machine. The gfx card is working
but still too hot, the fan has died. I have a spare ran so with this I'l
shaddup and fix it.

>     On Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 9:19:12 PM CST, James Ross
> <JRossList at Outlook.com> wrote:
>
>  On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:58:10 -0600
>
> "Steve Ostrom" <smostrom7 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > James, I know my Comcast e-mail account has limits on how large a
> > document I can send out.  Maybe you or other listserve members could
> > provide an easy solution.
>
> I am more than willing to do it or help somehow. Even though it would
> take me some research, I want to make sure it gets done. I am sure
> there are open source tools readily available on Linux to convert the
> scans to a PDF document. You can send me an email off list.
>
> However, if someone else is already more experienced at doing the
> conversion then that would be even better! :) If you want to check w/
> Guillaume first that's great.
>
> James

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)