[Coco] [CoCo] CoCoTALK will be doing a Afterdark recording

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Jan 7 00:14:12 EST 2018

On Saturday 06 January 2018 23:03:15 rietveld rietveld wrote:

> 'legal'  license work around for win7.
>
> Sort of...
>
> When you install Windows you are prompted to provide a valid product
> key to activate the Windows. But you also have the option to skip the
> prompt and access Windows 30 day Trial version. use the slmgr -rearm
> command
>  Just press Windows+R buttons to open “Run” In the “Run” window type
> “cmd” and click on “OK”. This will open “Command Prompt”,
> just type slmgr -rearm
>  Now press enter and after a short delay you will be prompted to
> restart your computer. Once restarted the trial period will reset to
> 30 days.
>
>  For this Trick, you will have to tweak the Windows registry.
>
> Type “regedit”
>  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT >
> CurrentVersion > SoftwareProtectionPlatform In
> “SoftwareProtectionPlatform”, you will see an option of “SkipRearm”,
> double click on it. Another window will pop up where the value will be
> set to “0”. Set it to “1” and hit “OK”.

For a 30 day "trial". I did that once before for a cad program. Took 2
years to finally stop them from spaming me 4x a day for when am I going
to pay them for it, a $450/seat. They might still be dunning me for it
but I put a rule in .procmailrc after a couple months to send their
stuff to /dev/null. Their program was moved there long before that, not
worth much to me w/o any docs.

Yet another reboot? It just now took me 38 minutes to do that once. This
is a busy machine, lots of stuff to restart and get running again. 21
logins to get all the networking up and running. Stuff you'll never see
from your side of a router running dd-wrt. The only thing on this
machine you can see is my web page, running inside a woven wire fence.

To follow the directions previously given meant I had to install about a
gigabyte of wine dependencies, all of net including a passel of fonts
and gecko and its friends for starters, 54 pieces total, then I chose
win7 before I ever got to the deb install step, which promptly got me an
advisory that windows had crashed, probably because the deb is 64 bit,
but wine is 32 bit.  They cannot be mixed n matched.

Playsonlinux kept telling me there was a newer version, but synaptic
couldn't find it, and no place in the playsonlinux menus was there an
offer to update itself.

So where is that update?

Thanks, but the next try isn't going to be this night.  Its been a long
day, culminating in making half a bushel of aluminum swarf making the
beginnings of an adapter that will hopefully run within .0001" of true.

About another 2 days work to find out if it does. And likely another day
writing the gcode to do it.  Keeps me out of the bars don'tcha know. ;-)

> Sent from my BlackBerry Passport Red Edition.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)