[Coco] CocoPi3

Ron Klein ron at kdomain.org
Thu Jan 4 08:04:54 EST 2018

Hi Kandur,

I did provide some *basic* documentation for the project and it's hosted in
Google Docs (a link was provided on the mirrors for the CocoPi3 project).
I appreciate the kind words as a lot of work was put into the project in an
attempt to make it fun for folks to use for Coco based emulation as well as
for software developers to use as a platform that hosts most (if not all)
the development tools available for the Coco and Dragon.  It's important to
note that I did not create anything you see with the project.  MAME, XRoar,
DriveWire, all the dev tools, libraries, utilities, etc., are all from
various folks in this great Coco community.  I just made sure it could all
work on an ARM platform (Raspberry Pi) and wrapped it all in some menus and
scripts.

In any case, there is some software included with CocoPi3 -- have a look in
the /media/share1 folder (and sub-folders).  You can access those programs
(DSK images and cartridges) from within MAME's User Interface (TAB key,
then File Manager) to mount disks or cartridges or you can use DriveWire
(running on the CocoPi3) to mount DSK images which serves files to MAME and
XRoar itself.  I've made the /media/share1 location accessible as a network
file share (ala Samba) so you can access it from a remote Windows, Linux or
MAC  workstation to copy files back and forth.  There's also a web based
file manager running on the CocoPi3 which you can access by a browser while
specifying your CocoPi3's IP address or host name.

There's quite a bit I've included with this distro and have been wanting to
do an online demo of it to not only show folks some of it's capabilities,
but to field any questions.  I'm hoping to arrange something like that soon.

In the meantime, I continue to work on it, keeping the various programs
updated and adding new features.  A new MAME software list function is
being added for the Coco 1 and 2 (it was already there for the Coco 3)
which allows very fast browsing and mounting of DSK images.  Guillaume
Major was kind enough to allow me to use a nice selection of software from
his excellent TRS-80 Color Computer Archive Site to add to MAME.  We worked
together on a little project to automatically generate the software list
XML file MAME uses and I am hoping to get this new feature officially added
to MAME.

Thanks again and hope you continue to enjoy it!