[Coco] CF or SD/Micro SD adapter?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Feb 28 11:08:28 EST 2018

> On Feb 28, 2018, at 9:38 AM, Ron Van Scherpe <rvanscherpe at penwin.net> wrote:
>
> So my question is has anyone in the Coco community made such an adapter?  Would love to pick one up as I still have my beloved first machine!

Specifically, CoCoSDC. It plugs in to the cartridge port and emulates the old Radio Shack disk controller. The CoCo and all software thinks it is talking to a Western Digital 1773 drive chipset, but it’s really using .DSK images on an SD card. When Ed Snider (Zippster) does a production run, they are usually under $50. Several folks make cases for it, too.

There is also DriveWire, free software that runs on Windows, Mac or Linux, that lets you use a cheap cable between the 4-pin Serial I/O port of the CoCo and the other computer. It doesn’t work with all software, but lets you do basic disk access across that serial port — like a drive server.

And if there is not drive controller, a guy on eBay sells a high speed loader that gives you commands for doing simple DIR, LOAD and SAVE stuff across a serial cable to a PC, or even an Arduino device he sells. I do not know what the official name for this is, though.

		— A