[Coco] Cloud 9 Pro Tector

Richard Lorbieski rlorbieski at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 09:27:14 EST 2018

Mark,

Nice cheap shot.

I only pointed out economics. If people want to spend $25 to save a $5 part, so be it.

There are advantages to having buffers in a system. Tandy should have done what the Pro-Tector+ does but they didn't to save some $$$. Having a non buffered address bus is not good when it is exposed to the cartridge port.

The first Pro-Tector came out May of '99. It has stood the test of time and all the abuse of non functioning hardware that I and many customers have thrown at it. See in your approach, plugin in questionable hardware device, one that I get in all the time and then repair, you would be popping CPUs all the time. With the Pro-Tector+ the problems can be traced down and repaired with no effect on the system. Ever try to put 6" of ribbon cable on the cart port to extend it? The added capacitance will kill the signal integrity of the non buffered lines.

I call that piece of mind and hundreds of Cloud-9 customers have that with this device. Like I said in my reply to Henry. The really only know way to take it out is with the +/- 12v to a digital signal with the MPI shift.

Remember it is not all about how cheap something is. Did you work for Tandy?  :)