[Coco] Graphics on NitrOS9 Level 1 v3.3.0 (CoCo 1)

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 18:31:41 EST 2018

On Wed, Feb 7 2018, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:

Rogelio - just to give you an update. The patch partially worked. It now
> loads/links Grfdrv, and can execute command codes $15 and up. But there are
> two bugs still:
> 1) Set Point and Erase point ($18 and $19) crash the system. Not sure why
> yet. All other commands seem to work.
> 2) The very first Grfdrv related command you send gets eaten; subsequent
> ones all work fine.
>
> As David and I have time to look into it further, we will try to fix these
> two remaining bugs.
>
> Please let us know if you find anything else.

Good!

My experience with OS Graphics on Level 1 comes mostly from release 2.x

Years ago I had played with some routines in Basic09 with release 1.x, and
when I upgraded to 2.0 I was surprised to see none of my programs worked,
kept getting a Module Not Found Error, that was until I got to *fully* read
(yes, bad boy here) the manual addendum for 2.0 where it stated the changes
in the graphics management with the requirement to have GRFO to be loaded
either with the Boot or manually prior to  doing anything with graphics,
Basic09's GFX included.

So on stock OS9 Level 1 v2 the system does not automatically load GRFO when
first needed (as Basic09 would load GFX upon first call); the GRFO module
needs to be in memory already.

I'm curious to know if GRFO module pre-load scheme was also to be followed
by NitroOS9 or has the functionality been implemented so the OS loads it
once the graphics function is called.

-- RP