[Coco] RS-232 Pak problems

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Feb 4 14:56:49 EST 2018

> On Feb 4, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Christopher R. Hawks <chawks at dls.net> wrote:
>
>    If OS-9 can send, then that part of the pak is fine. If some of the
> RSDOS terminal programs do not, perhaps they initialize the pak
> differently as they are expecting to talk to a real modem. The OS-9
> drivers are initializing the pak to talk to a terminal.

That would explain my experiments this morning. I have done more reading about the 6551 in the last 24 hours than I have done since I got my RS-232 pak… It looks like I need to jumper both the sending and receiving sides, then, to make it universal.

>> It has been very curious. As much as I don’t want it to be my
>> hardware dying, that wold explain a lot of this weirdness.
>>

>    I would try shorting all (both?) of the status outputs to all the
> status inputs. That may fool everyone involved. You could even try full
> loopback mode (tx to rx). The pak should return all bytes sent to it.

I am just not sure what that implies. I have followed what seems to be the most suggested way to do this (3-wire RS232 to full port) with no luck. I have the diagram here:

http://subethasoftware.com/2018/02/04/help-needed-with-6551-based-rs-232-pak-to-3-wire-without-dcd/ <http://subethasoftware.com/2018/02/04/help-needed-with-6551-based-rs-232-pak-to-3-wire-without-dcd/>

Is that what you have in mind?

		— A