[Coco] RS-232 Pak problems

Christopher R. Hawks chawks at dls.net
Sun Feb 4 14:34:44 EST 2018

On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 11:48:22 -0600
Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2018, at 11:19 PM, rietveld rietveld
> <rietveldh at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > MikeyTerm, GregETerm, and Ultimaterm all work with this pak using
> > RSDOS
> >
> > Xcom9 works with OS9
>
> For some reason, many of the RS-DOS programs are not making lights
> blink at all. I can toggle them to bitbanger and try though that
> cable and they work, but they aren’t seeing the Pak. Under OS-9 it
> does send data.

    If OS-9 can send, then that part of the pak is fine. If some of the
RSDOS terminal programs do not, perhaps they initialize the pak
differently as they are expecting to talk to a real modem. The OS-9
drivers are initializing the pak to talk to a terminal.

> It has been very curious. As much as I don’t want it to be my
> hardware dying, that wold explain a lot of this weirdness.

    I would try shorting all (both?) of the status outputs to all the
status inputs. That may fool everyone involved. You could even try full
loopback mode (tx to rx). The pak should return all bytes sent to it.

Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft
--
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but
they've always worked for me.