[Coco] USB Serial adapter to CoCo RS-232 Pak?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Feb 4 13:29:10 EST 2018

I am finding that many USB serial adapters today only provide TX, RX and GND. If you check you can find some that also provide two additional flow control lines.

Has anyone been able to use these with a CoCo RS-232 Pak? Since the 6551 chip requires Carrier Detect in order to receive, it does not seem like they would work with any of these adapters. I can’t even find a single RS232-to-TTL adapter that provides the CD line.

If they do work, I’d be interested in the brand so I can look into it. I am trying to figure out if my RS-232 Pak is dead, or if this is just the way things are today.