[Coco] 25 foot DW cable

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Sun Dec 23 18:12:32 EST 2018

First let me say I not only play an engineer on the internet I am one
(ET & CS degree, not license). I actually have experience with RS232
and distance. The further you, go the lower the speeds will be. But that
doesn't mean you can't go 19200 @ 50ft (15m). Going 100ft, I think you're
pushing it (perhaps at 9600). It depends on a number of things, quality
of the cable and it's build (ex: shield grounded at one end), quality
of the driver chips (1488/1489 are good chips and work at RS232C +/- 25v),
quality of the other end (PC end with a USB dongle with RS232F - +/- 5v)
and, of course, the amount of noise in your env.

Now to my surprise, I did see V35 run at 38400 for 100ft. I have no idea
how that worked as the previous best I could get out of similar equipment
was 19200 at 5ft.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com