[Coco] 3rdPart Editor

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Dec 17 11:23:05 EST 2018

Bill, I don't think you understand...
The makefiles present in the repo are NOT OS9 makefiles. They are for the make included in the Mercurial distro used to build the NitrOS9 repo on modern machines. None of the OS9 makes will work with those makefiles. In fact, the repo cannot be built at all under OS9.

I also think you're over-estimating make and what it does. Make does not produce anything. All make does is scan for a given filetype (defined in the makefile) and recursively calls the proper module until all files are done. Make has very little in "commands" as the flags used in the makefiles are generated elsewhere in "rules.mak" or other makefiles or defs files. The flags pace through make are usually being passed on to the designated C compiler module. The macros created in the makefiles determine what program make calls for what file extention.
Neither of the two makes for OS9 have extensive enough functionality to handle most of what's done in the repo (like ed).

If you are having a problem building as simple, single C file, then I doubt make is the problem. You have probably not defined your build process in the makefile.

And I was wrong... the docs for make are NOT in the C compiler manual. In fact, make didn't come in the C compiler package as make will not work in OS9 L1 due to 64k memory limits. Make came with the Level 2 Developer's System. You'll find make's description in that manual.