[Coco] Live AND Learn..........

Joe Schutts j_schutts at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 00:04:57 EDT 2018

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to post some NEW THOUGHTS on my electronics I have in my household.
I currently have the following electronics in my house. Two 32 inch Flat Screen TV (each one having 3 HDMI Inputs - one is hooked up to either my PC's or the Cable Box while the other is hooked up directly to the Cable Box), one DVD Player, one DVD-Recorder (that I use to play/record anything I see on my 32 inch TV's) one VCR (with the same setup), one Stereo Tuner, one Stereo Amp, one Record Player, one 8-Core CPU PC (with 32 gig's of HD space) that I use for mostly for everything from Video Editing to the Internet, one 6-Core CPU PC (with 12 gig's of HD space) that I use for Video and Audio Recording/Encoding, one Multi-DVD Burner/Copier (that I use to make DVD Copies for friends and family), one Win 98SE PC with 8 gig of HD space (that I use strictly for games), I also have a 24TB Server and well as a 48TB Server that I am in the process of building.

Finally I plan to add to this setup my CoCo 3 (512k) as well as my CoCo 1 (64k). I also have 2 Dual Floppy Disk units that I plan to add to this setup using a MPI that I happen to have. I just purchased a SDC (and plan to buy another one) as well as a IDE Interface Unit that I plan to upgrade to a CF Card Reader that I also purchased. I even happen to have an OLD X-Pad for the CoCo that I plan to add to this unit (but this means I'll have to buy another MPI Unit for the CoCo 1).
Now I know that everyone is probably thinking to them self, "This guy has a NEAT setup". And you're right, I do.
But this is NOT the reason I'm writing this piece. It's to tell you about another hardware item I have. One that I wouldn't be without...
It's called a UPS (a "Universal Power Supply"). I have 3 of them hooked up to my "ENTERTAINMENT (and PC) CENTER" that I listed above and I couldn't live without ANY of them...
They have saved my BACON in more times than I can count and saved me HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of dollars in repair/replacement costs over the years. Now don't get me wrong, each of these "UPS" units cost me around $50-$100 each and a replacement battery costs about $30-$50 (for each unit) but I would rather dish out $30-$50 for a replacement battery than have to spend HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of dollars in repair/replacement costs for a fried piece of electronic equipment...

Sometimes when my power gets cut off - by either an electrical storm or a power outage I can manage to get to the UPS and turn it off and save the battery (after I recharge it) for later use. Sometime not, and the battery get completely drained and needs to get replaced. But like I said, I'd rather pay the $30-$50 than the "COSTLY" alternative...

Now some here might say this is "NOT A COCO RELATED RANT"...
I cannot agree. This pertains to the CoCo (and ALL it's users) and ALL it's hardware. By buying AND using a UPS on your systems you can save your HARD TO REPLACE CoCos and it's ALL it's hardware for future generations and possibly save you some time and money in the process...
Give it a thought, I sure that many of you will agree with everything I've said here...
If not I'm always here to respond to your suggestions AND/OR comments...

Take care everyone...
Joe...