[Coco] CoCoUSB

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Apr 25 21:31:22 EDT 2018

On Wednesday 25 April 2018 18:45:41 Allen Huffman wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2018, at 5:46 AM, Francis Swygert <farna at att.net> wrote:
> > Great idea! The first one I suggest doing, however, is a printer
> > adapter. If it plugged into the bit-banger and had something like
> > standard Epson emulation built-in it would work with just about any
> > CoCo program. With real serial printers hard to find now, except for
> > some industrial dot matrix printers, that would be a big plus.
>
> Being able to print from Max-10 or MiniBanners would be nice.
>
> I believe there is already existing code that does EPSON or maybe
> Tandy printer codes to translate them, for this very reason. I just
> don’t think anyone has hooked them up to a CoCo yet.
>
> It would probably just take an afternoon to make something that would
> capture the CoCo printer output and write it to a BMP file that could
> be printed just as if it were dots on the old printer.

Drivewires version of /p can do that, imitating an old 9 pin DMP. But I
get a lots prettier output just feeding the text file thru cups on this
machine, and feeding it back to a Brother $120 b&w laser printer, and
have a 30 page assembler listing in my hands in 2 minutes. No confusion
between an ell and a 1. Whats not to like?

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)