[Coco] The CoCo Crew Podcast -- Episode 35 is available!

Deny Wilson deny.wilson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:17:49 EDT 2018

As I've gotten older, I've become more and more interested in the more
"rare" or "weird" systems. After Tandy dropped the CoCo, I ended up buying
a homebrew PC XT with a monochrome monitor. Man, that thing felt like a
step backwards compared to the CoCo, and I only had a CoCo 2 64K non-ECB
system at the time. So, I lusted after the Amigas, which was rare to me (in
my hometown, there was I think 1 person with an Amiga). I never ended up
getting one, unfortunately, and now, the one I want is priced into luxury
land for me. Since then, I've been interested in the Japanese systems (the
MSXs, the Sharp 68000, the FM Towns, etc), which are, for the most part,
also into luxury land. But I still read everything about them that I can
because 80's computers fascinate me.

I get what you're saying about the original systems, and I agree, it's the
original systems that get the most love and support. Homebrew software for
the CoCo is alive and well. Sometimes, though, I dream of a CoCo with 256
colors @ 320x255, hardware sprite support, and better sound, so I can
appreciate add-on boards for old computers. Heck, the ZX Spectrum Next is a
thing that happened, so maybe someday, someone will build my ultimate CoCo
Next system.