[Coco] The CoCo Crew Podcast -- Episode 35 is available!

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Tue Apr 17 15:48:50 EDT 2018

Well, industries tend to consolidate, so it's not surprising that
everything moved to something, with just a few small niche players
remaining (like the Macintosh). It would have definitely been interesting
to see "alternative" CoCo's post Tandy's stoppage of production, but they
likely wouldn't have been sustainable businesses for very long anyway, so
it's probably for the best.

About the only relevant example I can think of of something like that
reaching market was the 1987 Geneve add-on for the TI-99/4a (with PEB),
which helped extend the life of that computer for true die-hards and had a
reasonable amount of homebrew-like software/conversions made for it. In the
big picture, though, I'm not really sure what it achieved, and I really
don't know what kind of numbers it moved. I don't think much, because while
TI-99/4a's are still a dime a dozen, and even the PEB is reasonably easy to
get, every time a Geneve card very occasionally goes up for auction, it's
fought over like it's something super rare. I would imagine just like in
other orphan computer communities, most TI enthusiasts simply moved on
after a few years. That may be for the best since I think for many of us
it's the original versions of these computers that we were and are most
passionate about, not off-shoots.

And congrats on 3 years to the CoCo Crew podcast!

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and