[Coco] Need help identifying author of an OS-9 program

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Tue Apr 3 06:31:48 EDT 2018

Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 22:41:29 -0400
From: Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net>

In general, artifact colors are not new and Tandy used them in some games. Both MESS and VCC can
emulate composite screens with MESS being quite good. However, the images on this disk display as
gray scale images with both MESS and VCC. They can only be seen in color via a real composite monitor.

There is no screen swapping in the program and the pictures are displayed as follows:

montype -r
view -s -q7 picture.vef
etc.

Tim Kientzle is the author of the program but I think he may not be the person who produced the .vef
images. They don't appear to be flicker type images. I can't think of any reason why MESS would not
display the images in color when artifact effects are turned on. It is also strange that the OS-9
palette is set to the RGB group even though the monitor needs to be a CMP type.
Ok, maybe I'm missing something, or maybe you just forgot (or I'm wrong...), but don't composite games that relay on artifact colors display as gray scale when viewed on an RGB monitor? In other words, try changing the OS-9 palette to composite when viewing the images using CMP as the type of monitor (if you haven't already tried...).
 Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548