[Coco] Manual or Code for Forth?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Sep 4 12:11:30 EDT 2017

On Monday 04 September 2017 11:50:15 Stephen Pereira wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am getting back into my CoCo equipment after taking some months off.
>  I took a look on the Color Computer Archive to see if there is
> anything new in the area of the FORTH language for Coco, and I was
> pleased to see listings for:
>
> Forth09 (D.P.Johnson).pdf
> Forth09 (Dennis M. Weldy) (OS-9).zip
>
> eForth (Frank Hogg Laboratory).pdf
> eForth (Frank Hogg Laboratory).zip
>
> I was particularly interested in the Forth09.  However, when I went
> ahead and tried it out, I found (should have been obvious!) the
> Forth09 (D.P.Johnson) and Forth09 (Dennis M. Weldy) are not the same
> Forth09.  So, we have here the manual for Forth09 (D.P.Johnson), and
> the code for Forth09 (Dennis M. Weldy).   Does anyone have a pointer
> to the code for Forth09 (D.P.Johnson), or the manual for Forth09
> (Dennis M. Weldy)?  I suppose they would be there in the Archive if
> they are around somewhere, but you never know.
>
> Next, I went and tried out the eForth (Frank Hogg Laboratory).  Since
> I do not have any real physical CoCo hardware, I am running my
> CoCo3FPGA setup.  Alas, the eForth loads and runs, but then for any
> key I hit on my keyboard attached to the FPGA platform, I get a string
> of gibberish characters on the screen.  SIGH!  I guess eForth must
> scan the CoCo hardware keyboard directly, or something, and since I do
> not have that hardware, I get garbage.  Too bad!
>
> Thanks for listening, and thanks for any pointers that you may be able
> to provide.

The definitive book was written by Brody (Brodie?), who I think also had
a hand in its creation.  That book did not completely match the forth I
had, and I don't recall 30 years later if it was a from scratch forth,
or was forth09, only that the book and what I had were badly
miss-matched.  I didn't dig any deeper at the time, too busy keeping a
tv station on the air.
> smp
> - - -
> Stephen Pereira