[Coco] Manual or Code for Forth?

Stephen Pereira stephen.m.pereira.sr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 11:50:15 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I am getting back into my CoCo equipment after taking some months off.  I took a look on the Color Computer Archive to see if there is anything new in the area of the FORTH language for Coco, and I was pleased to see listings for:

Forth09 (D.P.Johnson).pdf
Forth09 (Dennis M. Weldy) (OS-9).zip

eForth (Frank Hogg Laboratory).pdf
eForth (Frank Hogg Laboratory).zip

I was particularly interested in the Forth09.  However, when I went ahead and tried it out, I found (should have been obvious!) the Forth09 (D.P.Johnson) and Forth09 (Dennis M. Weldy) are not the same Forth09.  So, we have here the manual for Forth09 (D.P.Johnson), and the code for Forth09 (Dennis M. Weldy).   Does anyone have a pointer to the code for Forth09 (D.P.Johnson), or the manual for Forth09 (Dennis M. Weldy)?  I suppose they would be there in the Archive if they are around somewhere, but you never know.

Next, I went and tried out the eForth (Frank Hogg Laboratory).  Since I do not have any real physical CoCo hardware, I am running my CoCo3FPGA setup.  Alas, the eForth loads and runs, but then for any key I hit on my keyboard attached to the FPGA platform, I get a string of gibberish characters on the screen.  SIGH!  I guess eForth must scan the CoCo hardware keyboard directly, or something, and since I do not have that hardware, I get garbage.  Too bad!

Thanks for listening, and thanks for any pointers that you may be able to provide.

smp
- - -
Stephen Pereira
Bedford, NH  03110